Money Claims

Money Claims

Buying faulty items, receiving a poor service or being owed money can be frustrating – especially when the person or business you hold responsible refuses to put things right. In these cases, making a claim is often the only way to put things right and to get your money back.

At Thornton Jones, our small claims solicitors can advise you about making a claim and support you through the claims process.

Our expert dispute resolution team have wide experience in settling disputes and have attained an excellent track record of success in helping clients resolve small claims and secure the recompense they rightly deserve.

Our dispute resolution and small claims expertise covers:

  • Compensation for poor service
  • Compensation for faulty products
  • Refund disputes
  • Disputes with landlords e.g. over failure to carry out repairs

We know it can be difficult deciding whether or not to make a claim against someone, never mind working out how much money you might be entitled to.

Our small claims team have extensive knowledge and experience when it comes to trader disputes and can give you clear guidance and advice on your rights.

We will take the time to understand the circumstances of your disagreement, so we can advise you of your options and the best way to resolve your dispute either through negotiation or formal court action.

With wide expertise across a range of sectors, we have achieved an enviable reputation for securing small claims settlements and ensuring the correct level of compensation is achieved by quick and cost-effective methods.

If your dispute does require a hearing, our small claims court solicitors will fight your corner with robust representation and by building a strong and clear-cut case.

Talk to us about a small claim today

For expert advice, please speak to our small claims solicitors at our offices in Wakefield, Ossett, Garforth, Sherburn in Elmet or Mapplewell, West Yorkshire.

Have a quick question or want to request a call back? Use our online enquiry form.

Our expertise with small claims disputes

When something goes wrong during a business or consumer transaction, making small claims or money claims against a trader can be a way of getting refunded or compensated.

We can help you with a small claim, where your case is simple and straightforward and does not involve a large amount of money – usually up the value of £10,000.

Our small claims lawyers are skilled and experienced in methods of alternative dispute resolution and mediation which are generally considered the best ways of resolving matters amicably.

Wherever possible, we will help you avoid court proceedings with the aim of settling through negotiation.

We can help you with a wide variety of consumer disputes and small claims matters including:

Compensation for poor service or faulty products

Consumer disputes can arise when businesses selling goods and services fail to ensure that what they are selling meets with Trading Standards regulations.

If you have had a problem with goods or services that you have paid for or you have paid for something which you never received, we can help you make a claim up to the value of £10,000.

Refund disputes

If you have attempted to get a refund for goods or services that did not turn out as expected or for goods and services not received, and the trader won’t refund you, we can help you negotiate or make a claim.

Disputes with landlords

If you are a tenant having problems with landlord repairs, we can help you with claims for compensation that cover issues such as inconvenience, stress or extra costs to you.

Unpaid Invoices

If you are self-employed and are owed money for work you have done, we can help you with debt disputes and claims up to £10,000.

For disputes or claims in excess of £10,000, please find out more about our full range of dispute resolution services.

Our small claims resolution methods

When someone owes you money for an unpaid invoice or when a trader refuses to rectify the problem of poor services, faulty or missing goods, you may have grounds to make a claim.

Before you start a claim, we can help you to try to resolve the problem in other ways such as with a formal letter of complaint or mediation, which can be a low cost way to get a prompt resolution before it goes to court.

Where this is not possible, we can help you start your claim. This is sometimes all it takes to get the individual or business you are claiming against to pay, therefore avoiding further action or court proceedings.

If matters cannot be resolved in these ways, we can advance your claim and guide you through the claims process.

You will need good evidence, such as documents and photographs which will support and strengthen your claim.

We will help you evaluate the strength of your case by reviewing your evidence and advising you on whether it is a good idea to go ahead or not. 

Our money claims solicitors will work with you with the aim of getting a fast and fair resolution to your case. We will help you:

  • Evaluate the likely cost of your claim and help you to determine whether or not it is worth pursuing
  • Explore possible funding and payment options to suit your circumstances
  • Draft a letter before action
  • Prepare your small claims form with content including: a summary of your complaint, what you want the person or business to do about it and how much money you want for replacement or repair etc.
  • Represent you in court, where necessary

Our small claims fees

Fixed fee small claims

We understand you may be worried about the costs of making a claim. We are able to offer fixed fees for small claims work and, in some cases, for specific types of work such as drafting and sending a letter before action or providing an individual session of mediation.

It is worth noting that you will need to pay a fee to make your claim and this will depend on the amount you are making a claim for.

We will evaluate the likely cost of making your claim to see if it is worth pursuing and advise you of possible payment options.

There might be other fees that you will need to pay such as court fees which you may be able to recover from the other side if you are successful. But, usually, in circumstances where claims are less than £10,000 in value, it is unlikely that you will be able to recover your legal costs from your opponent, even if you win. If you lose your case, you may even have to pay their fees as well.

For some types of dispute resolution work, we can offer fixed fees. This will normally cover a specific piece of work, such as drafting and sending a letter before action or providing an individual session of mediation.

Learn more about our fees and funding.

Hourly rates for our small claims solicitors

Where fixed fees are not applicable, we charge an hourly rate.

We bill in regular instalments and can, subject to your circumstances, agree a monthly payment plan in which interest is charged at 8% per annum on outstanding balances.

All fees are subject to VAT at the prevailing rate.

We may request a payment-on-account of £100 plus VAT when you make an appointment to see one of our solicitors. This payment covers the cost of the initial appointment and the associated work should you choose not to go ahead. If you chose to proceed then your payment-on-account will be deducted from your final bill.

Learn more about our fees and funding.

Conditional fee agreements for small claims

For some types of disputes, we may be able to offer conditional fee agreements covering all or part of our fees. This means that part of all of our fees would only be applied if and when we secure a favourable outcome for you.

Learn more about our fees and funding.

Contact our small claims solicitors in West Yorkshire

For small claims legal advice, speak to a small claims solicitor in our offices in Wakefield, Ossett, Garforth, Sherburn in Elmet or Mapplewell, West Yorkshire today.

Have a quick question or want to request a call back? Use our online enquiry form and one of our team will contact you promptly.

Online Enquiry Form

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.