Divorce & Separation Solicitors

Helping families in crisis

The breakdown of a relationship or marriage is one of life’s most traumatic events. Couples often find it difficult to make arrangements for their children and the division of their finances at a time when emotions are running high.

We can help.

Our experienced and skilled team understands the difficulties you are facing, and will guide you expertly through them, providing sound advice and support to help you reach agreements that will enable you to move forward.

Financial issues

When couples separate there are usually financial issues to resolve. Depending on your situation, this can involve a court application for "ancillary relief" to resolve the division of capital assets (such as your house, pension sharing and maintenance). We will deal with the entire process for you, making sure we obtain all of the relevant financial information from your ex and securing the best result for your future. 

Providing for your children

If you have children, you will need to consider factors such as where they will live and how much time they will spend with each parent. This used to be known as ‘custody’ and ‘access’, or ‘residence’ and ‘contact’, but is now referred to as ‘child arrangements’ and ‘financial relief’.

First we’ll cut through the jargon, and then we’ll help you work through your options and advise you on reaching agreements that work for your family.

Civil partnerships & same-sex marriages

We can help people in civil partnerships or same-sex marriages to work through the issues around their finances, assets and any children they may have, and advise them on dissolving the partnership or ending the marriage.


We can help people in abusive relationships obtain injunctions to protect themselves and any children they have from further harm.

Alternatives to court

You don’t have to go through the courts to decide how you divide your money, property, possessions and look after your children. There are a number of alternatives to court, which enable you and your partner to decide, together – and with input, guidance and advice from our team – how best to deal with them. They include collaborative law, mediation and arbitration, and our ‘alternatives to court’ page describes these options in more detail.

In April this year, the law changed, and now any couple who want to use the courts to resolve the issues surrounding their separation must first attend a compulsory Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting (MIAM).

This doesn’t mean that you are being forced to use mediation if it isn’t right for you. It simply gives you an opportunity to talk through the alternatives to the court process with an experienced professional who can help you decide whether any of them are suitable for you.

Get in touch with our divorce & separation lawyers in West Yorkshire

Speak to our divorce & separation law solicitors in Ossett, Wakefield or Garforth, West Yorkshire today by calling 01924 290 029 or ask a question using our online enquiry form.