Contact (Access)

Contact is often referred to as “access”. When couples separate, arrangements need to be made for the children to reside (see “residence” information) with one parent and have contact with the other.

Some people find it easy to make arrangements between themselves, where others need the help of Mediators, Collaborative Lawyers or the Courts.

Consideration needs to be given to the frequency of contact, whether overnight contact stays are appropriate, and how handovers should take place. Each family is different and arrangements which work for one family may not work for another.

If the Courts are involved then a “Cafcass Officer” may well be appointed and if the parties with the assistance of Cafcass are still not able to reach an agreement, a Judge will decide what the arrangements should be.

Alternatively, contact arrangements can be discussed in Mediation or using the Collaborative Law process.

Bookmark and Share